Whether you are just starting in the business or have been in the business a long time. Creating a profitable list of prospective or current clients is vital to your business. How so? Here are three reasons you need to sit down today and put this list together.
1. When someone is looking for a hair and/or makeup artist they typically call the first person that comes to their mind.
2. Clients like to feel connected to their hair and/or makeup artist. We provide a very personal service. Connectivity ensures client retention.
3. Consistent list building will generate a higher demand for your services and eventually increased rates.
“What is this list you speak of?” you ask. The list I speak of is one that you will be sending your personal content to in an effort to achieve these three goals. You will do this via email and social media.
I know, I know you’re afraid you will appear too spammy. Trust me I get it. I thought the same thing until I started utilizing my list and getting results. The fact is I have had less than a 5% unsubscribe rate on my email list. That tells me that my clients are not bothered with the content that I am sending.
With that being said, the key is in your content. If you are sending them salesy spammy messages, then yes they will unsubscribe. But if you are sending them updates on the jobs that you have done with great imagery and keeping it on a personal level they will feel engaged with you and feel compelled to book you when the opportunity arises. Thus making your phone ring!
Even if you have been in the business a long time I would suggest that you sit down, gather the contacts you already have (use your old emails and callsheets) and search for new names for your list. There is always up-and-coming clientele in every market. I encourage you all to continually update your list to stay on top of your game.
There are a number of places on the Internet that you can search for new clientele as a hair and makeup artist. I have put together a list of Google searches for you here in this freebie download. Once you have gathered the names in these categories you will need to do two things with each name.
1. Find yourself a free email marketing platform like Mailchimp or Infusionsoft to manage your list with. Once you have set this up, my suggestion is that you put together a monthly newsletter to send to your list.
2. Connect with the people on this list on social media. Facebook is a great tool for this. You may need to start a new profile if you are a little naughty, opinionated or overzealous on your current profile. You should have a fairly neutral business persona when reaching out to your list.
Creating a list can be a big project. So this is where I want you to start because I do not want to overwhelm you. This is why I decided to make this a two-part blog post. Next, I will talk about the kind of content to engage your list with.
Happy List Building! – Mary RC
FREE WEBINAR MUA BUSINESS BOOSTER PART 1 — WATCH